Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Two baptisms si o si this weekend. We´ve been teaching them for a while, and though they represent the large population of infatuated adolescents in the area, they don´t live together, smoke, drink, drink coffee or tea, nor do they believe that Mormons are 100% evil beings from another world. It´s taken a while for them to develop their spiritual testimony, but logistically it all makes sense, and the family of Cindy (la novia) has seen a great change in the both of them for the better since they've begun taking the lessons and going to church. This is a wonderful thing to see, and I am truly honored to be a part of their conversion story. I get to call home this weekend, so my house is utterly off limits. Don´t make phone calls in, nor visits to check up on the fam, and do not pass go or collect $200. Should you have an extra $200, though, that´d be great. As much as I have enjoyed knowing each and every one of the people outside of my dear family, let´s be honest; the celestial kingdom is organized by families, and my kids are gonna party hardy with my brother and sister while all of us chill at my parents house and tell anecdotes and eat prunes in twenty years. I had prunes once with Brother Walker at Lake Powell, and they were surprisingly delicious, and there is an abuelo in our ward that is the smoothest, most typical Argentine the world has ever known. Put those two images together, and old age doesn´t sound that bad, not even including the fact that I will be that much closer to going home to my Lord and seeing his merciful face with my own two little eyes after a long, well lived life. I traded one of my ties to Elder Gimenez for two ties that either get pulled off really well or eat it depending on the Elder. We´ll see how it goes, but the deal is made, so if I don´t like them I can burn them as tradition goes in the mission. Elder Van Loo did that last night, and I have a picture of him holding a flaming tie that rocks solidly. Ah, these days of being a missionary. Care free from the world, just worrying about the eternal salvation of thousands of people and having the responsibility of carrying it out. Good times. God gives personal revelation, and it´s really incredible how directly He answers our prayers. A lady this week told us that she didn´t believe that God exists anymore because He doesn´t answer her prayers and that He seems to pick favorites. This was really sad, but tragically flawed from a logical standpoint. Yes it´s true that God has favorites (namely those who actually listen and act upon that which they hear), but He makes everyone His favorite the instant we start to obey. She wasn´t obeying, and suffered accordingly, which stinks vehemently, but has to occur due to the irrevocable decree in heaven that all blessings come from obedience to the law upon which they are predicated. Sad day. We also had intercambios, and I went to a different area to work for a day. Elder Harris needs to be a future companion of mine, because the two of us are great together, and this is while we are newbies in a foreign country speaking a second or third language. We didn´t have a ton of lessons, but those that we did have were stellar, with the exception of the excommunicated bishop that didn´t want to admit that he might have been wrong in jumping steps in the churches offering system and paying for peoples temporal needs with tithing funds. The two of us were talking and all of the sudden I turned to him and said in my own beloved tongue that I didn´t feel like we should be there, and he agreed so we closed in prayer and high tailed it out of Dodge. I have only four weeks left with my beloved trainer, and this saddens me greatly. He really demonstrates a lot of patience with me and never gets mad at me for slipping up when I do, which feels like it occurs very often. He has been an example de diez for me, and couldn´t even dream of having a better trainer ever in my life. I hope that the Lord blesses him always and that my dweeb-like antics didn´t ruin him for good. Just maybe a transfer or two. P-day has come to an end. Farewell my long-lost and severely bored friends! Elder Lindsey (Linci according to the secretary of our branch)

No comments:

Post a Comment