Monday, March 26, 2012

I Survived Week No. 1

I survived week number one in Argentina, and my companion Elder Petersen completed his first year in the mission on the same day. That kind of put things into perspective how fast this shenanigan goes. Apparently I forgot to mention the name of my wonderful area that is really starting to take off. Arenales is to the East and a little north of Córdoba and is completely flat, which makes it nice to get around. The skies here are incredible. Next week I will include some pictures I took the other morning of the sunrise from our pension. De diez. It´s really dusty here, which means that I have to do a good job of keeping my shoes clean every day or they will detract from my snazzily selected white shirt, tie, pants and belt that I wear on a daily basis. By far the best tie that I have was given to me by none other than my little brother. It ties nice and big at the top and is long enough that I don´t have to put the small end into my shirt. Thanks, little buddy.
The area of Arenales really is wonderful. We have some people that I am really rearing to teach, and there was a day this past week where we placed seven baptismal dates in the same day, with one the day before and a few more in the following days. Sadly, because not everyone came to church on Sunday we have to reassign a date and work towards that, but we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us. The Lord really does help us out in many ways. One night, this man that just happened to be riding by on his bike saw us knocking on a door and told us that they weren´t home. We thanked him and asked him a little about himself, including his address so that we might pop in to share a message that really would change his life. He gave us the address, which was a good forty minute walk down a sketchy road to another city. We went to the house, and he definitely had lied to us. A younger mother opened the door and when we asked about Ruben, she was rather confused and we explained the situation and that regardless of what had happened we preach of Christ to all who are willing to hear. She allowed us to enter, and after a thirty minute lesson we asked her to be baptized, which surprisingly to us both she accepted. A flat out malicious seeming lie turned into a fecha! Then, she had mentioned that she knew the Torres family down the street, so we popped by and talked with Sister Torres for a little bit and she gave us yet another reference two houses down. We taught there and helped a lady feel more hope in her life and brightened her day, and ours in turn. How merciful is the Lord to His children who obey His word and ask in faith to be directed to those willing to hear the word!
I finally can understand Castellano much better and even catch snippets of what the children say. Hallelujah. This goes in accordance with what Paul discusses in 1 Corinthians chapter 14. He says that though a man may speak in divers tongues it profitteth him nothing if he cannot understand. And furthermore, he says that it is better that a man should prophecy for the edification of all than to speak in divers tongues for his own spiritual betterment. I agree completely with his statement that he would rather say five words that edified everyone than a thousand in another language. And then, we must remember that previously in chapter 13 he extols charity above almost all else, saying that though he prophesies and speaks in tongues, giving to the poor and working miracles with faith to move mountains, without charity he is nothing. People who prophesy write scripture, people who heal can save lives, but through it all, simply loving someone and showing that Christlike love proves a mightier deed than to cease the very rotation of the earth. (Here the building´s power went out and luckily autosave had my back, showing yet again the Lord´s tender mercies to His children)
I apparently didn´t use very much of my money before now and still have a ton to use at my discretion, and I received a ton more in reimbursements just two days ago. This will be a great blessing with Grido´s ice cream tonight before we finish off the days work. Plus we have a coupon that gives us ten pesos off for a whole kilo. Ice cream really isn´t a very great way to end my message home, but I have yet to write The President and P-Day is almost over, so in this sweet finish, as Isaiah says, make their hearts fat, and as I say, "May the grace of Christ fill your soul as often as the day is long and as well as he selects his prophets".

From Arenales Argentina,
Elder Clark Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment